Champagne Pascal Ponson Grand Reserve Brut NV (375 mL)
Champagne Pascal Ponson Grand Reserve Brut NV (375 mL) This tête de cuvée is everything you could want in a half bottle – rich, textured, complex, and all-in-all sumptuous, over-delivering Champagne at a great price!
Flavor Profile: Red apples, butter cookies, lemon zest, tangerine, and brown butter pears
Time on Lees: 60 months
Disgorgement Date: September 2022
Dosage: 9 grams per liter
Farming Method: Organic Practices
Why We Love It...
If you wisely snagged some of the previous Pascal Ponson, we offered a few weeks back… listen up! Our Champagne connection set aside some glorious, Premier Cru, tête de cuvée half bottles of their Grande Réserve Brut that were originally marked “restaurant only” – just for us! We took them all – making us the only retailer in the country with these glorious 375 ml beauties!
Maxime and Camille Ponson have absolutely stopped me in my tracks with this portfolio – for a house I had never heard of, and with their relatively young age and lack of traditional experience (due to their father’s untimely death) – one could understand if these wines were lacking polish or complexity… yet just the opposite is the case! Beautifully developed, with silky, creamy textures and a harmonious balance of spice, acidity, and boisterous fruit – these are simply stunning wines that surely make their father, Pascal, as proud as any father could be!
These brothers have turned their father’s house into one of the most exciting up-and-coming grower producers in all of Champagne, and these are really just their first few releases trickling out into the world… I, for one, can’t wait to see what the future holds!
The Ponson family has made wine and farmed vineyards in the Montagne de Reims for five generations now, with a more recent transition to organic, and biodynamic, farming practices thanks to the young brothers. They continue with natural practices in the cellar – all native yeast, naturally-occuring fermentations, no fining or filtering, and never intervening, to either encourage or prevent malo-lactic fermentation in their wines. Their only addition is a scant dose of sulfur when necessary, and only right after the fruit is harvested in that case.
Their holdings amount to 13+ hectares, spread across the Petite Montagne sub-region of the Montagne de Reims, with the majority of their vineyards in Vrigny, Coulommes-la-Montagne (where the winery stands), Pargny-lès-Reims, Jouy-lès-Reims, Ville-Dommange, Sacy, and Ecueil. The planting mix is dominated by some 70% pinot meunier, with the remaining 30% spread amongst equal parts pinot noir & chardonnay.
This Grande Réserve Brut combines 34% pinot meunier, 33% chardonnay and 33% pinot noir from their best parcels of vines, and the best lots of the family’s reserves. The elevage occurs over 5 years aging on the lees, with a Brut level dosage of 9 g/liter afterward. Now at one year under cork, this little half bottle packs a bubbly wallop – especially for the price! Opening with bright sensations of red apples and crumbly butter cookies, then spritzy and zesty in the mouth with lemon peel, tangerine, and alyssum. A rich note of brown butter baked pears leads to a delectably pleasing finish, and a warm happy sensation from my brain to my belly. Simply perfect for your Indian Summer picnics, apple picking excursions, and pumpkin carving throughout the fall season! While they last, that is…
Appellation: Montagne de Reims
Varietal: Champagne Blends
Blend: 34% Pinot Meunier, 33% Chardonnay and 33% Pinot noir
Winemaker: Maxime Ponson
Farming Method: Organic Practices
Pair it with: Confit chicken thighs with Sauce Chasseur
About the Producer
Champagne Pascal Ponson, a boutique Champagne producer located in the charming village of Verzy within the Montagne de Reims region, epitomizes the essence of artisanal winemaking. Founded by Pascal Ponson, this family-owned Champagne house has cultivated a deep connection to their vineyards and a passion for crafting outstanding, terroir-driven Champagne. Embracing sustainable practices and traditional winemaking techniques, they have consistently produced remarkable cuvées that highlight the expressive character of their Premier Cru vineyards. Champagne Pascal Ponson is celebrated for its commitment to quality over quantity, producing limited quantities of exquisite Champagne that reflect the unique charm and elegance of the Verzy terroir, making it a treasured gem in the world of Champagne connoisseurs.
Your daily bubbles
We’re wine drinkers, collectors, and part of the global wine trade. Mostly, we are totally stoked to bring you incredible bubbles at the best prices we can possibly obtain, every day.